The Four Spagyric (Alchemical) Seasons



The Four Spagyric (Alchemical) Seasons

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Summer time Shrimp time

I tend to think of summer time as shrimp time. I'm not really sure why. The fact is that where we live they are almost always frozen (or thawed from having been frozen), which makes them pretty much available all the time, so there's not much fluctuation in price... And, my favorite way to prepare them, isn't really much less difficult in the summer than any other time of the year (ok, maybe a little easier than the deepest part of winter, but that's about it).

However it comes about, the shrimp I prepare in the summer seem to taste better than any other time of the year. And, I attribute that to two things: the marinade and the cooking method (which is on the barbeque, as you probably gathered from my references to seasonal weather conditions...). I can't think that it's any big secret, but by marinating shrimp and grilling them, the flavor is heightened by concentration, and I think it makes the best out of everything that is good in them.

The marinade I use is very simple: for a pound of 51-60 count shrimp, the juice of a small lemon or lime, 1/4 t. each of onion and garlic powder, and smoked Spanish paprika, S&P, and 1 T. olive oil. I put it all in a plastic bag and let it sit in the fridge while I prepare a fire outside. When the fire is hot, and the grill is clean, load them on 6" skewers that have been soaked (usually 6 to a stick) and then I cook them until opaque, and the edges and tails are charred but not black.

For some reason I tend to like shrimp with rice, or a combination of rice and veggies like I did here (perhaps I'm wishing, deep down, that I was eating paella...).