I've been wanting to do a post about this for a long time, like a couple of years. It's about one of our favorite summer-time dishes, but its appeal seems so "outlandish" that I never bothered--until now. Dishes done with this tuna-based sauce seem to be very traditional in Italy. The best known is done with veal, thus known as vitello tonnato. As it happens, largish chunks of veal (i.e. roasts) are rather difficult to track down in our area, so I usually use turkey breast and make "tacchino tonnato." Well, being the frugal type that I am, I was not willing to pay the crazy prices I've been finding for turkey roasts, breasts, or tenderloins, so I bought the largest chicken breasts I could find and worked with them instead.
Here's what I did. A full day ahead of time, I poached the chicken breast in chicken stock. I used Knorr because I was being lazy (the version that comes in the little tubs), and made it double strength to impart as much flavor as possible. Usually I prepare a proper court bouillon with lots of fresh, lovely aromatics...this time I just wanted to get it done because I had been having such a hard time getting everything together. After the chicken breast was poached, I popped it into the fridge until the morning I was going to prepare the tuna sauce and assemble the dish.
On that morning I prepared the tuna sauce by draining a can of white albacore tuna in water, reserving the liquid in case I needed to thin the sauce down a bit. I place the tuna in the bowl of my mini cuisinart and rinsed some salted capers (a little less than a tablespoon-worth), and put them in as well. Then added the juice of 1/2 lemon, a little dried thyme ground between my fingers (three large pinches, less than 1/2 t.), and about 1/2 t. dijon mustard (not really enough to flavor, but to help with emulsifying the oil). I also added a little onion powder and pepper, but no salt (between the capers and tuna, there would be plenty).
After whizzing the tuna around a few times to incorpate all of the ingredients, I put it on high and began to incorporate some extra virgin olive oil. Just a drop or two at first, then after that a little more freely. The sauce tightened up nicely (I was prepared to dump in an egg yolk if necessary, but it wasn't). I'm not sure how much olive oil I put in in the end, but probably around 1/4 to 1/3 c. I didn't need the reserved tuna water either, the consistency was just right the way it was, a slightly thin mayonaise.
The chilled chicken breast was able to be sliced into nice, thin pieces (around 1/8 in., or 3 mm.) thick. I arranged those on my serving dish (majolica, with my favorite pattern: raffaelesco) begining from the center and slightly overlapping the slices of chicken as I worked out from there. Then I spooned over the tuna sauce and spread it all the way out to the edges of the chicken (I wanted full coverage for maximum flavor). Before serving, I garnished it like you see below, with some sliced roasted red pepper, capers and some parsley, (I would have also included some lemon slices, but forgot...).
I served it with a nice little salad of arugula dressed with a vinaigrette flavored with some of the "nectar" from the roasted red peppers, and grilled crostini made from a loaf of ciabatta, drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with sea salt. A sauvignon blanc from Chile was very nice, but a nice Orvieto classico (secco) would have done even better.

